The final run of Santa Maria Valley Railroad's (SMVRR's) No. 21 Baldwin locomotive occurred on Saturday, February 24, 1962. The 26-page program for this momentous occasion is pictured at right - a recent acquisition for the Santa Maria Valley Railway Historical Museum's (SMVRHM's) collection. The pictures below are from this program.
The crew pictured at left has a combined 108 years with "Old 21"! To the left of the coupler stands Allan Hancock, then President of the Santa Maria Valley Railroad (SMVRR) and the first and last engineer of Number 21. To the right of the coupler is Manuel Phillips, the first and last fireman of Number 21. At the time, the SMVRR had about 50 employees.
The SMVRR was formed in 1911 by an English oil syndicate. Captain Hancock bought the railroad in 1925, and the Number 21, an 81-ton steam locomotive, was delivered on June 5, 1925. It would run on the SMVRR for 37 years. According to the program, the SMVRR wore out 9 steam locomotives by this point, hauling an average of 30,000 carloads per year giving 6,000,000 ton-miles. "That's a lot of traffic for 30 miles of rail", claims the program. In 1962, the SMVRR already owned five GE 70-ton diesels (purchased between 1948 and 1959) numbered 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50; and one GE U6B No. 60. (This latter locomotive was an export design originally intended for delivery to the South Vietnam Railways.)